Saturday 18 August 2018

A 2017 Summary

At the start of 2017 I had 334 summits on my combined ticklist of TRAIL 100 summits, Nuttalls, WASHIS, Simpsons, Bridges and Buxton & Lewis summits.  2017 was the fourth year of my fairly arbitrary 10-year completion target and I had aimed to tick 48 summits on my combined list which would include 30 Nuttalls and 6 TRAIL 100s.

And now, for the fourth year in a row I didn’t reach my targets and, yet again, by some distance!

Overall I :
            went on             9                                   walks
            walked              77.7                              miles
            ascended          29,206                          feet
            walked for         53 hrs 43 mins            (including rest stops !)
            reached            16                                 individual summits that I hadn’t been to before
            reached            6                                   individual summits that I had been to before
            reached            12                                 summits on my combined ticklist
            reached            1                                   previously unclimbed TRAIL 100 summits
            reached            5                                   previously unclimbed Nuttall summits
            drove                2074                             miles on trips to and from walks

2017 only saw one change to the Nuttalls list.  Carnedd y Ddelw in the Carneddau was demoted following a resurvey but it didn’t have any effect on my list as I had ticked it way back in 1988!

Notable walks included Ben Lomond, Bowfell to mop up a couple of Nuttalls, Arenig Fawr and High Cup Nick which saw another Nuttall put in the bag.

My targets of Snaefell, the 6 Cheviot Nuttalls and Pillar Rock were unsurprisingly untouched – maybe it’s time not to name specific targets!

During the year I added a few more lists – Dawson, Dewey, Moss & Wright – to my own list; another 137 summits!  They are all of 2000-foot mountains in England & Wales and are recognised by the LDWA.  My reasoning for including these takes a little bit of explaining so maybe I will write a blog about it in the future.

So after my walks, a demotion and list additions, my ongoing ticklist increased from 334 to 459 summits!

I think that 2018 will see a different approach when setting targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment