Wednesday 25 March 2020

The Arenig Fach Anomaly

A hillwalking friend of mine often decries the fact that Arenig Fach is on the TRAIL 100 list as one of the finest mountains in the land.  Arenig Fawr, fair enough, but he can't see why this lesser neighbour should be included.  To those who look closely, the list has its flaws, and my friend is adamant that this is one of them.

But, it's on the list so it needed to be ticked, whether or not its inclusion is deserved.

Starting from the large lay-by on the north shore of Llyn Celyn it was a short walk to the track that led up through the forest to open country.  The track made for quick progress as I skirted the slopes of Foel-boeth.  I walked up the slope of Brottos under the shadow of a red kite, quartering the ground systematically looking for prey.

I left the track just below Carnedd y Filiast's summit to follow the fenceline over peat hags to Waun Garnedd-y-Filiast.  Retracing my steps, I crossed paths with a walker and wondered if he was on my route for the day, but I never saw him, or anybody else, on the hills for the rest of the day.

From the summit of Carnedd y Filiast, Arenig Fach looked a long way away, particularly under the sun and blue skies of an Easter Monday that would break temperature records.

Carnedd y Filiast summit - Arenig Fach in the distance

I started to follow the fenceline downhill – today was not going to be much of a navigational challenge – and soon discovered that although the ground was reasonably dry following the recent spell of good weather, this area was basically a big sponge.  I had to stray from the fence to tick Carnedd Llechwedd-llyfn, taking in a few minor bumps to ensure that I had reached the highest point.

The clear skies gave an appreciation of what would otherwise be a bleak moorland landscape as I disturbed the local residents – three times my steps prompted a lizard to scatter into the heather undergrowth – but the intrusive signs of humanity were perhaps inevitable.  Discarded fence poles and rolls of wire were a constant as I descended but at two separate points I removed a deflated helium balloon that had ended its journey trapped against the wire of the fence.  One celebrated a 65th birthday and the other had a generic "Happy Birthday" exclamation; I wondered if they were for the same person?  It's a reminder that litter can travel, arriving at places other than where the items are discarded.

when the helium escapes!

At the low point between the two biggest mountains of the day, I crossed the Afon Gelyn and followed it to where its tributary, Trinant, flowed into it.  At this point the uphill started again, heading through heathery tussocks before a very vague track came and went up the steep heather of the north-east ridge of Arenig Fach.

The summit was more interesting than the ascent with a rocky plateau making a welcome change from miles of bog and heather.  But, as enjoyable as the top was, I'm sure that the mountain doesn't deserve the exalted status as one of the country's finest!

Arenig Fach summit

No comments:

Post a Comment