Sunday 8 March 2020

Ingleborough’s Minor Summits

The addition of the Moss and Wright summits to my ticklist meant returning to previously visited mountains in order to mop up the tops that I had never considered collecting.  Ingleborough had 4 of them.

The path from Clapham soon led to the cairn on top of Long Scar with impressive views north.  I followed the Dales High Way towards Nick Pot before stopping for lunch at the derelict shooting hut below the slopes of Simon Fell.  That it is an obvious point for rest was reinforced by the amount of litter discarded, probably by many walkers accepting the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge who succumb to fatigue on the final leg to Horton-in-Ribblesdale.

Pen-y-ghent

My first target of the day, Simon Fell South-East Top, was easily found but the next one – Simon Fell East Top – was a challenge despite the excellent visibility.  It could have been any of a number of peat hags, but I'm sure that I found the highest one.  Poor visibility would have made ticking the summit a significant task with the risk of missing the top altogether.  It's got to be said that this "summit" is not very worthwhile.

Simon Fell North Top was easier to be sure about but which side of the wall the highpoint resides is open to debate.  This was another summit that makes you think whether such minor summits are worth the effort; do Mosses and Wrights deserve my attention?  And although Ingleborough East Top is a reasonable point to enjoy the view, it is ultimately just a tiny point on the north slope of its parent mountain.

Pendle Hill

I sauntered on to the top of Ingleborough which I had been up a couple of times before.  A few people were enjoying the summit plateau and I took the time to appreciate the view south towards Pendle Hill.  I made my way down to Little Ingleborough from where Gaping Gill was clearly in view.  At the famous cave I walked around the depression, marvelling at the fact that such a small entrance that swallows the stream can lead to a cavern of cathedral-sized proportions.

Ingleborough summit - shelter, cairn & trig point

The path now led through Trow Gill and past Ingleborough Cave for an easy finish into Clapham.
Listening to the radio on the way home, reporters were announcing that the day was the hottest February day ever recorded, indeed it was the hottest winter day ever recorded.  So good was the current spell of weather that the record only lasted one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment