Thursday 3 September 2020

Two Dales Outliers

Looking at my map of summits to tick, there were only three left in the southern Yorkshire Dales.  Two of them were Birks Fell and Dodd Fell Hill.  I had the opportunity to tick them on previous walks but I had opted to shorten those days – one only a fortnight ago – and leave them for another time.  I decided that time was now!

Starting from Buckden a short walk to Redmire led to the bridleway which takes a diagonal line to the plateau.  I cut across to trig point on Firth Fell, serial number S5499, which is just one less than the last trig that I had visited on Yockenthwaite Moor (S5500).

Firth Fell trig point

The drystone wall past Birks Tarn led to a ruined hut that is only faintly marked on the OS Explorer map.  From there it is only a short walk to the summit cairn which can be clearly seen on the skyline.  Pen-y-ghent was the most significant mountain in view from the top and Pendle Hill could also be seen in the distance.

Pen-y-ghent

I walked to Birks Tarn and dipped my feet in before strolling along the edge of the plateau, enjoying the views over Buckden to its namesake Pike.  The descent back to Buckden on the bridleway was a steady amble to end a very pleasant walk.

I drove to the junction of Cam High Road and Oughtershaw Road from where I started out for Dodd Fell Hill.  The ground was boggy in places but I made my way alongside the wall without incident.  Heading just about true north from the wall the terrain became a bit more challenging and at one point my right leg plunged knee-deep into the bog; luckily I was wearing gaiters.

At the trig point the views were expansive with the Yorkshire Three Peaks stretching across the skyline and the Lake District fells were clearly seen, particularly the Scafells and Great Gable.

Dodd Fell Hill trig point

Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough

the Scafells and Great Gable

Those views made up for the return walk – plenty of peat hags and a long slog along over a mile of tarmac.

No comments:

Post a Comment