Tuesday 18 February 2020

A 2018 Summary

At the start of 2018 I had 459 summits on my combined ticklist of TRAIL 100, Nuttall, WASHIS, Simpson, Dawson, Dewey, Moss, Wright, Bridge and Buxton & Lewis summits.  2018 was the fifth year of my arbitrary 10-year completion plan and I had aimed to tick 52 summits on my list which would include 23 Nuttalls and 4 TRAIL 100s.


The year was one of distraction, with personal and family issues taking precedence over ticking summits.  So, for the fifth year in a row I didn't reach my targets.  From now on, I won't be setting annual targets and I'll take a more relaxed approach to reach completion.

Overall I :
            went on             11                                 walks
            walked              76.5                              miles
            ascended          24,390                          feet
            walked for         55 hrs 6 mins              (including rest stops !)
            reached            28                                 individual summits that I hadn’t been to before
            reached            4                                   individual summits that I had been to before
            reached            27                                 summits on my combined ticklist
            reached            1                                   previously unclimbed TRAIL 100 summits
            reached            14                                 previously unclimbed Nuttall summits
            drove                2343                             miles on trips to and from walks

2018 saw 3 Nuttall reclassifications:

            Miller Moss (Little Lingy Hill) was promoted from ex-Nuttall to Nuttall status;
            Foel Cedig was "discovered" as a new Nuttall;
            Cyrniau Nod was demoted to ex-Nuttall status.

Another change was that Cefn Gwyntog North Top was split into 2 summits – North Top and Far North Top – which increased my ticklist by 1.

I also added a couple of more lists to my own ticklist.  I added the ex-Nuttalls which increased my list by 5 and I added the TGO40 list – The Great Outdoors magazine's selection of the 40 best mountains to celebrate its 40th anniversary – which only increased my list by 2.  The TGO40 is roughly a subset of the TRAIL 100 list!

The most significant walks included explorations of the Moelwyns, my first ascent of Cader Idris and my eighth ascent of Snowdon.

All of this meant that after additions, promotions, demotions and my walks, my ongoing ticklist decreased from 459 to 441 summits.

No comments:

Post a Comment