Sunday 26 February 2017

West Highland Way

I must be getting old.  I had plans to walk up Schiehallion but I didn’t feel my legs were up to it after yesterday’s big day out on Ben Lomond.  As well as the lie-in I’d had to recover.  And I wasn’t the only one !

We chose a much easier option and decided to walk up the West Highland Way to Tyndrum.  After scrounging a lift to Crianlarich train station, we set off up the well-marked path into the forest.

I’ve never fancied myself as a long-distance walker – summits have more easily held my appeal – but, if I had to choose one to do I’ve always thought that the Milngavie to Fort William option would be a good introduction.  There are options including wild-camping or using one of the baggage transfer companies which allows walkers to travel with minimum weight.  I think I’d go for that, not to be encumbered by a large sack and taking away the end-of-day hunt for a suitable pitch.  Although it wouldn’t allow you any flexibility about lengthening or shortening the day should the mood take you.

We followed a good graded path and had occasional glimpses through the trees of some of the higher ground, notably Beinn Odhar, before dropping down to cross the A82.  This stretch was much flatter and we were soon nearing Tyndrum and The Real Food Cafe, where we had arranged to meet our lift back to the hut.

Beinn Odhar

I enjoyed the walk more than I thought and maybe, at some point in the future, I’ll try the West Highland Way, but I’ve still got a few hills to do first !

No comments:

Post a Comment